Tuesday 9 February 2010

British Museum

I visited the British Museum today as I thought it would be good for myself as well as the group to see real life Medieval objects and statues etc. These are some of the images, I will post more on my own blog.
This first image is not Medieval, yet I liked the way that the statue was standing at the top of the stairs, I thought we could use it as a camera shot as she is quite foreboding here and you have no choice but to walk up to her. Medieval Info:
Afew wall hangings telling stories. These are aimed at Lydia who may like them to tell the story of King Arthur using their style.









This piece is the King's Pavement. I liked the circular design of the earthware and thought it would be good to surround the statue at the top of the castle.






These wall hangings were of particular interest as parts of the images are missing. Lydia wanted to achieve this effect as if we are going to fill in the gaps. It also shows that it can be done using tiles or stone bricks rather than using Maya cloth.












This was the handle to a Bishop's staff. I really like this as it is so ornamental and decorative and shows the power and stature of the man who would have held it. I am going to use this for my Sword design to make it more ornate and prestigious.








Another sword, this time with the Knights costume (do we still want armour?). The symbols on the sword have an unknown meaning, which I could use in my own sword design.




















Possible wall texture:









The next two images show different pots. The first is early Medieval yet the second is from a much later period. I thought the oversized pot could be lit by Arthur when it is placed in the centre of the dock area. Obviously the fire will flow from it so there would be channels attached, yet the examples show how grand it could look and the type of colours we could use to texture it.

























Again this statue is not from the Medieval period, yet I liked the feminity of the character and thought she could be used for the Lady of the Lake. Her arm to one side could be where the sword it drawn from, and she looks very protective so it would suit the treasure she is holding.












I took this photograph to show a possible camera shot of the audience and Arthur looking up at the statue. This perceives her to have a high place and makes her look powerful.










Again another Medieval statue. I really liked the lighting in this one and the way that the shadow falls against the wall. Again she looks powerful and the robes once again cast interesting shadow.









I did like this chest, which was in the same cabinet as the statue above. I would like to have a go at modelling this, as it could be for Arthur to interact with. There could be Medieval money inside to show the wealth and the lost treasure of the island, or something more sinister like a skull that would scare him.









The shield could be another way of telling the Arthur story, or he could pick one up to protect himself from the unknown dangers that may be waiting for him...









Finally, this kind of ties in with our original idea of the fountain, yet I thought this could be an interesting plynth for the Lady of the Lake statue to stand on. Arthur will have to negotiate this aswell to reach his goal so does he jump across it? Does he stand in the water? Or neither?





Hope these help, I will put the rest on asap.
















No comments:

Post a Comment